||Three (3) days
||Short lectures with many exercises
on the computer
||This course covers the following topics:
Well Log Upscaling, Facies Data Analysis, Facies Modeling, Property Calculator, Operations and Filter, Petrophysical
Data Analysis, and Petrophysical Modeling. The student learns to use each of these tools and at the end reinforces
this knowledge with a half day property modeling project.
|Who should attend:
||Anyone who needs to use Petrel to assign facies or
petrophysical values to the cells of 3D Grids.
|What will they Learn:
A 3D Grid is empty of properties
Add facies or petrophysical values to
Do not know how to upscale
Learn how to upscale a
Do not know how to analyze
petrophysical data in Petrel
Learn how to analyze and
model petrophysical data
Property Modeling includes the following processes:
- Well Log Upscaling - This process assigns values from wells to cells of a property model
that are penetrated by those wells.
- Facies Data Analysis - Understanding how facies are distributed vertically in a zone,
defining variograms, correlating facies with seismic attributes and facies thickness analysis.
- Facies Modeling - This section covers pixel based and object base facies modeling.
An additional section is presented to introduce methods for controlling areal facies trends.
- Property Calculator, Operations and Filter - These utilities are discussed because many
models are built by combining two other models through the operations process and once built,
the filter tool is essential to QC the property model.
- Petrophysical Data Analysis - Histograms and cross plots represent one style of data
analysis while transforms and variograms represent another.
- Petrophysical Modeling - The two primary approaches to modeling, directly from data
(common for porosity) and using another property to guide the distribution (common for
permeability) are described.
It is possible to swap the data used for the final exercise
with the student's data. When this is done, care must be taken
to ensure that the goals are appropriate for the time available.
Using student data allows productive work to be performed
while in class.
- Property Modeling Introduction
- Understanding Variograms
- Well Log Upscaling
- Facies Modeling - Introduction
- Facies Modeling - Data Analysis
- Facies Modeling - Object Based
- Facies Modeling - Pixel Based
- Facies Modeling - Deterministic
- Facies Modeling - SIS Algorithm
- Petrophysical Modeling - Introduction
- Petrophysical Modeling - Data Analysis
- Petrophysical Modeling - Porosity
- Petrophysical Modeling - Permeability
- Petrophysical Modeling - SGS Algorithm
- Property Calculator
- Property Operations
- Geocellular Modeling Project